Saturday, October 4, 2008

auf wiedersehen rocky road


so much for my commitment to locally grown food (as for now). as of recently, i am to stay away from nuts and dairy and focus on buckwheat, rice, kiwi, cherry juice, and fish. how does this affect my farmer's market commitment? i am now challenged with devising meals using my new staples (as per my new allergist/accupuncturist), a tricky thing when i've never had buckwheat (if i have it didn't leave a lasting impression) nor have i ever cooked with it, and i have never made soba noodles from scratch--i do not have the time for this. so how do i know what meals to make? i don't but am currently researching this. so in the meantime i have made the trek to trader joe's and whole foods to buy my new staples. hoping to soon get an idea of meals, thus ingredients, thus my return to the farmer's market for most everything. oh, and my other half? well, he doesn't have the same allergic manifestations i have and according to the doc, is most likely affected by foods differently and will have a whole slew of his own personal meal ingredients (to be dteremined after his visit to the doc, if he so chooses thus starting something along the lines of if it ain't broke...); so my best estimation is that the other half will continue to eat whatever i cook and will now be on the same regimen as me. i, on the other hand, began seeing this new doc to relieve symptoms related to what i thought were seasonal allergies as well as to eliminate pain from a torn ligament in my right wrist. apparently my addiction to everything almond (the nut, the butter, the paste, the milk) as well as my addiction to everything dairy (the ice cream, the milk, the cheese, the yogurt, the cottage cheese, the butter) is the root of my symptoms and pain. the chinese elm tree on our deck which i was about ready to have uprooted, relocated, and replaced with something else--like a fake christmas tree--is just exacerbating the food allergies brewing within. and the pain in the right wrist which i was about to cast indefinitely (as surgery is terrifying) is inflamed due to the food allergies brewing within. so i am attempting to eliminate nuts (all, not just almonds) and dairy for the next two weeks to assess the improvements that my eastern medicine doctor guarantees. so far i am in 5 days. so far, so good. another note worth mentioning...i am a skeptic. big time. but i have to say, that after my first treatment of a total of 10 needles strategically impaled in various parts of my body, i noticed improvements. so i figure, hey, why not go for broke and see if weeding out the nuts and dairy makes my symptoms disappear. next up...treatment for depression from serious ice cream withdrawl.

No comments: