Saturday, September 6, 2008

on the subject of art


if art is so subjective, why do art professors profess their objectivity? who's to say that one's art doesn't work? perhaps it isn't working for the professor as a subjective viewer. but when it doesn't work simply because it doesn't because the professor says so, well there lies the professor ar objector. as an art educator and as an art student, this idea of subject/object plays a large 2-part role: when helping students fine-tune their work as well as when i fine-tune my own work. with my students, i want them to find happiness in their work while also gaining an understanding of basic art principles, of why their art is effective but not to change it to please me or the observer. as a student myself, i find myself trying to please the professor. and i know why. because i am paying for continuing education. in order to receive a degree i need to produce work effective in their eyes, irregardless of my interests, my decisions within the medium, my subject matter. and the professor will look at the work and disregard it. not engage in questioning it. relay that the art should speak for itself. well, of course. thus speaking to the interpretation of the viewer and making it subjective. looks like where i teach and where i am taught are clearly expressing great differences in the philosophy of art and art education. where does that leave me? to keep teaching the way i want to be taught, to keep learning what i don't want to do, and to propel myself to doing what i do want to do.

No comments: