Thursday, September 4, 2008

to market


Okay...so I skipped a day of blogging. Yesterday was very busy, and today, more so but in a different way. We just finished dinner and I am proud to say that I don't often have many repeat items on the dinner line up. Frequent favorites include portobella mushroom sandwiches with a lemon/blue cheese/dijon dressing. So tasty! And roasted potatoes. Tonight's dinner was a roasted root vegetable salad with each ingredient coming from my trip to last Saturday farmer's market. Oh how I enjoy getting up and heading out the farmer's market between 8 and 9...leisurely spend an hour or so perusing the pickings...before coming home to unpack before heading to yoga. This habit has been rewarding for many reasons...1) financially because I buy only what will last for the week; the produce has not been treated with any fertilizers or preservatives and tends to spoil faster than regular store-bought produce. And the food seems less expensive than in the stores, seeing as it isn't imported and marked up...2) Also, the food is fresher thereby healthier as there has been less time since it was picked for the vitamins and nutrients to diminish...3) I am proud to be supporting local businesses (an on-going goal of mine)...4) by supporting local businesses the environment is taking less of a hit in terms of oil consumption to ship it...and 5) it's just plain nice to be in the open air looking at the varieties of food available and all the colors, as well as personally challenging my cooking abilities further by using only what's in season. Now I know some of you readers might be saying you've known the benefits of farmer's markets all along...and I have for quite some time...but it's only recently become a real passion/now tradition for me.

No comments: